Second Home is a global workspace and cultural venue, bringing together diverse industries,
disciplines and types of social businesses. We are looking for a dedicated Chef to work at our
Second Home café “La Despensa”.
Second home in house Café “La Despensa” launched in December 2018 with the aim to provide
members with seasonal & affordable breakfast & lunch, 5 days a week in our 4 sites across London
(Spitalfields, Clerkenwell, Holland Park & London Fields).
The role will be based in Second Home Spitalfields, where the main kitchen is located that provides
food for the other sites. The cafe is open Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm, with the possible addition of private hire outside operating hours.
We work with British suppliers as much as possible and source quality and seasonal ingredients,
limiting environmental impact, developing kitchen processes that keep waste to a minimum and
finding new and interesting ways to deal with food waste and reduce packaging.
What you’ll be doing;
• Reporting to the Head Chef, you will manage the day-to-day operation with passion and integrity in line with the ethos of La Despensa
• You will need to take ownership of your given responsibilities and will be someone who sets high standards and leads by example
• Your responsibilities will include food preparation, menu planning, food safety control, ordering ingredients, stock takes
• In collaboration with the head chef plan seasonal changing menus
• Keep up with trends in cooking, bring your own ideas and be open to members feedback to amend the menu accordingly
• Order, manage stock and carry an accurate weekly stock take on all food items, keeping waste to an absolute minimum
• Work hand in hand with the FOH team, especially the Cafe Manager to ensure that the cafe is run smoothly
• In the absence of the Head Chef be able to step in, ensure that the kitchen is ran smoothly
• Ensure strict health and safety compliance across kitchen areas; develop a due diligence
system specifically tailored for the cafe operation; that includes cooking and cooling
processes, kitchen recipes, labelling, organising deep cleans and cleaning checklists, report
any defective equipment
• Keep the kitchen clean at all times, working methodically. Maintain the kitchen equipment
• You will have previous experience in a café or restaurant kitchen (ideally cooking breakfast), you will have a minimum level 2 Food Hygiene.
• Organised, creative and diligent
• Excellent understanding of the commercial activities of a small cafe/bar
• Experience working in a small cafe - create and produce food and menus within budget
You will have experience as a Chef de Partie in a café or restaurant. It is also beneficial that
candidates have a minimum level 2 Food Hygiene. If you have what we are looking for, then we
want to hear from you!
50% off food