POLPO is a small group of Venetian inspired restaurants and having just celebrated 10 years since our first opening we still cook and serve the best cichèti outside of Venice.
Still lead by the original founders, we are an independent, people focused business with the ability to make our own decisions and be flexible both creatively and commercially.
The people we look for need to be completely behind the food that we cook and be able to understand and react to our customers needs. We do not need office-bound financial experts, but out-going, fun, energetic restaurant people who want to host, delight and give our customers the experience we all want when we dine out.
You will be leading, motivating and developing a team to deliver a genuinely warm and hospitable experience to all POLPO guests while maximising revenue and profit for the business. To implement delivery of the business strategy in conjunction with the Head Chef.
Staff Supervision & Development
- You will be responsible for all aspects of the teams’ experience of POLPO from their recruitment, through their early stage training and into their career progression
- You will be managing a team of FOH Managers and Bar Supervisor and are responsible for their progression and development. You must ensure that your support team are fully competent to manage the business in your absence and are growing in line with their development plans by coaching and delegating effectively
- Managing the onsite recruitment of all FOH staff with support from HQ
- Ensure all FOH staff are completing their required tasks and duties as detailed in their job descriptions
- Manage the weekly training sessions to develop employees, identifying key areas of training, e.g. product knowledge, coffee training, food & drink, health & safety, order of service. Effectively delegating, planning and implementing of the training to other managers and/or appropriate trainers
- All staff files and paperwork should be up to date and maintained on Fourth
- Weekly rotas to be written, with working hours and holidays monitored efficiently
- Conducting weekly manager meetings including kitchen
- Arrange staff meetings as required
Service & Standards
- Conduct daily briefings with the manager, chef and FOH team to discuss menu, specials, changes, bookings and AOB
- Lead the shifts to ensure that each service is run to the highest standards and regularly communicating with the team as to what those standards are, ensuring that they are consistently being met
- Daily and weekly checklists in place, completed, up to date and kept on record: cleaning schedules, health & safety (fire maintenance, pest control, compliance records)
- Manage the maintenance of the building alongside Head Chef to ensure a safe environment for staff & customers
- Maintain excellent standards in monthly mystery diner reports, as well as responding and reacting to the results by communicating any necessary areas of focus to FOH & BOH team
- Responding to and acting on customer feedback on social media (including TripAdvisor) as requested by Operations, and communicating this to the FOH & BOH teams
Being energetic, inquisitive and food focused are key aspects we look for in candidates. We look for people who are able to lead and motivate a team through unconventional methods as well as on-shift guidance.
An ideal candidate must have a mature and positive outlook and be able to keep a calm head during service.
- Excellent communication skills and a pleasant telephone manner
- Experience in similar environments at a similar level
- A passion for food, wine and beverages
- Training and motivating skills
- Some computer literacy skills
- A confident mature outlook
- To be able to prioritise and work under pressure when necessary
- Ability to delegate and oversee duties responsibly
- To have a positive impact, taking personal responsibility and initiative to resolve issues, always clearly communicating with both customers and colleagues
- Excellent personal presentation and an excellent sense of humour
- Leadership – you must lead the team by example and help them to develop in all areas
Perks, incentives or benefits offered
- Up to 50% discount on all POLPO Ltd restaurants and quarterly dining and clothing vouchers
- Up to 28 days paid holiday per year
- Enrolment into company pension scheme after 3 months
- Recommend a Friend Scheme – where you can earn up to £500 to work with your friends
- Staff meals are provided daily, and a beer or glass of wine at the end of the night
- Comprehensive induction
- Weekly in-house training sessions & supplier masterclasses
- Regular trips to producers, distilleries & suppliers, etc
Specific training offered or provided for this role, if any.
Watershed - Good to Great management course
Preferred starting date
Nov 14, 2019