Luminary Bakery is a social enterprise with a vision to empower the UK's most disadvantaged women to reach their potential - through baking! Launched in 2014, our bakery sells a range of sweet and savoury baked goods both at our Stokey cafe and to customers around London. Our charity offers training, support and mentoring to women who have experienced significant disadvantage, and our bakery then offers jobs within the business for them to take their next steps. With a new bakery / training centre set to open later on in the year, this couldn't be a more exciting time to join!
Right at the heart of what we do, this is a central role at Luminary! The Head Baker’s role is to manage bakery production, ensuring delicious, beautiful products are going into the hands of our customers everyday. Working alongside both staff team and graduates of our programme, this role is pivotal to the positive impact we have on women's lives.
- Management of all production & new product development; producing all baked goods to a high standard
- Line Management of Bakery team across both sites, including recruiting and training new staff
- Ownership of budget and financial analysis for bakery department
- Assignment of administrative tasks to Assistant Head Baker and Artisan Cake Baker
- Management of daily production and capacity, liaising with the Operations Manager to ensure production targets are met and quality always maintained
- Working with the Artisan Cake Baker to develop and expand our Wedding & Celebration Cake range
- Management of Health & Safety in the kitchen and all other relevant bakery areas, ensuring compliance
- Owning ingredients and supply ordering, working with the Operations Manager to ensure we’re working with value-aligned external suppliers
- Working with the Operations Manager to ensure an excellent, cost-efficient delivery service
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who’s passionate about the positive impact that baking and food can have on people’s lives. We are looking for someone who’s had 2-3 years experience in a professional kitchen and is ready to take on the challenging and fulfilling journey of a growing social enterprise bakery. With the upcoming launch of our second bakery this is a great opportunity for someone who’s looking to take their career to the next stage and run a multi-site operation.
Job Requirements and Abilities:
- Motivated, hard-working and ambitious
- 2-3 years experience baking in a professional kitchen
- Highly creative and experience in product development
- Ability to bake top quality products - artisanal cakes, breads and biscuits - that are uniform and consistent
- Well-organised, thinks ahead and good attention to detail
- Naturally takes initiative
- Experience of managing people & production
- Flexible and open to change
- Focused on goals and achieving them
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Understanding and supportive of Luminary’s social aims and vision
- Understanding of the Luminary Faith Policy and supportive of the organisational values
- Proficient with MS Office, G-suite, and general IT skills
- It is a requirement of this job role that the candidate is female
- Experience working with disadvantaged individuals or groups
- Experience teaching or training in a kitchen
Perks, incentives or benefits offered
- Free Luminary t-shirt
- Daytime shifts (no nights!)
- Free barista coffee each shift
- 20% discount off all food & drink plus family + friends discount
- 10% discount off online purchases (celebration cakes & merch)
- Free yoga/dance workshops where available from our partners
- Regular opportunities for training and professional development
- Bi-monthly reflection days where possible
- Quarterly staff socials
- Long-term service rewards including merch, vouchers, increased holiday and free cake!
- Opportunity to be part of our Luminary ‘Sister Scheme’, pairing you with one of our Luminary graduates working on team, helping to be a role model and friend as she takes her first steps in the working world
Specific training offered or provided for this role, if any.
We allocate budget to each team member at the beginning of the year for specific training purposes.
Preferred starting date
Sep 09, 2019