St. JOHN has six operations: two restaurants, a commercial bakery, a retail bakery, a winery and a wine import company. Each of the enterprises is unique, but they all adhere to the distinct style and philosophy which gathers all branches of the business under the St. JOHN umbrella and makes them so instantly recognisable. Each is at the beating heart of the vibrant community in which it was established.
St. JOHN Bakery
The Bakery is housed within a Victorian railway arch, from where it produces the sourdough and doughnuts for which the bakery has become famous, along with a wide range of other renowned breads and pastries destined for the tables of other iconic restaurants such as The Ivy, Boisdale and many more, as well as supplying the counters of the St. JOHN Bakery in Neal's Yard and the upcoming new site in Borough. On Saturday and Sunday mornings the Druid Street arch opens its shutters to sell loaves and pastries to retail customers from amongst the flour bags, during the rest of the week the site is production and wholesale only.
The St. JOHN Bakery is famous for its beautiful doughnuts, "Pillows of Joy", with delicious fillings. But doughnuts are only one item in a glorious range of pastries - brownies, tarts, viennoiserie and more. St. JOHN's pastries have a strong emphasis on simplicity, a root in British baking, and a focus on quality. The successful candidate will be responsible for preparing large quantities and varieties of pastries within the commercial bakery, following recipes and specification sheets and assisting with product development, creating the delicious, quality produce of which St. JOHN is so proud.
The candidate will be working a 5 day, 48-hour week within St. JOHN's commercial bakery, which is a high-volume, high-capacity environment.
The candidate will be responsible for:
- Producing pastries to the exceptional level of quality expected of St. JOHN
- Performing the day-to-day operations of the pastry section
- Working between both pastry and bakery sections where needed, to meet the overall daily needs of the Bakery when directed
- Working with the Head of Pastry and the Head Baker to create new recipes and product innovations
- Ensuring that the highest quality of work is maintained throughout production procedures, from preparation of ingredients to finished goods
- Following recipes for each pastry product to be baked, ensuring all specifications are met
- Ensuring that all pastry orders are fulfilled
- Ensuring that CCP forms are completed for each product, including detailed information on start, shaping, baking and packing times as well as accurate oven temperatures
- Packing pastry goods ready for delivery
- Leading by example in setting high cleanliness standards, best practice and routines to avoid accidents, food spoilage or waste.
- Following proper food hygiene, handling and correct temperature control of all food products.
- Complying with all prevailing Health & Safety, Food Hygiene and COSHH legislation and St JOHN policies in accordance with best practice in the industry.
- Creating and maintaining a professional, friendly and engaging working environment.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have knowledge and enthusiasm for St. JOHN products and ethos
- Be a supportive and cooperative member of a team
- Be able to work independently, under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Successfully manage through change and be able to adjust working priorities according to changing requirements/direction from the team.
- Actively seek new ways of working to improve their abilities and their role.
- Act with initiative and creativity in resolving issues and realising the Bakery aims and objectives.
- Actively seek learning and development opportunities to grow in experience skill and ability.
- Demonstrate strong and resilient interpersonal skills and develop strong and positive working relationships, both within the team and externally with clients
The successful candidate should:
- Show a good knowledge of pastry, deserts and cake decorating
- Be able to produce all baked goods including but not limited to artisan pastry, laminated Danish, laminated croissants ad doughnuts.
- Have an NVQ award, certificate or diploma for Proficiency in Baking Industry Skills or General Patisserie and/or previous experience as a Pastry Chef/Assistant, or relevant work experience.
- Show a genuine interest and passion for baking, patisserie and pastry.
- Have good English language skills (both reading and speaking) to be able to successfully follow recipe cards and product specifications.
- Show a good understanding of all food hygiene and handling procedures, health & safety and have experience in managing Critical Control Points.
- Be able to work early mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends as the Bakery works long business hours to meet client orders.
- Be able to multitask, prioritise and manage time effectively to ensure all customer orders are met on time.
- Be self-motivated and happy working as part of a team and on individual tasks.
Perks, incentives or benefits offered
As part of the St. JOHN family, discount on dining is given across the St. JOHN restaurants, with 50% off food Monday to Wednesday for tables of up to 4, and 25% off food Thursday to Sunday. Wine is charged at takeaway price when you drink in (so you can drink a £90 bottle of wine for around £25!), and at cost price to take away.
Preferred starting date
Jul 01, 2019